Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Outrageous True Story: Why People Don't Trust Banks

Last week, my mother went into a branch of a major banking institution, the same branch she had been going to for many years. She wanted to get something out of her safety deposit box, so she filled out the form, showed the clerk her key, and waited while the clerk went in the back. (My mother usually goes into her safebox about once a month.)

After waiting for ten minutes, my mother finally asked one of the tellers what was taking so long. The teller went to check and came back with the clerk who told my mother that they had no record of her having a safe deposit box there. My mother told her that was ridiculous, showed the woman her key and driver's license, and said that she had been going into her box regularly for years. Then the clerk asked her if she was in the right branch, and she replied that of course she was in the right branch, she never used any other branches.

Finally the branch manager came over, and asked what the problem was. When my mother told him, he went in the back. After a very long wait, he came out and said that he couldn't find any record of her having a safebox. My mother said that she had to get into her box. The manager said "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do."

Apparently, there has been a recent turnover of employees at the branch. One of the tellers who did know my mother said that she saw that the safebox signature cards were moved from a drawer to a metal box, and maybe her signature card got lost in the transfer.

Anyway, my mother finally left, completely stunned, stressed, and devastated, without being able to get access to her safety deposit box. My questions to you, dear readers, is:

1. What would you do if this happened to you?

2. What would you do if this happened to your mother who lives 500 miles away, and asks you what she should do?

1 comment:

Robert F. Rothgery said...

I would first have her locate written documentation about her safe deposit box. Then I would obtain a witness such as a minister, friend, or a hired, private investigator. She should return to the bank, witness in tow and demand access to her box or some verifiable information from the bank stating she was wrong.