Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I Can't Believe This: No Wonder So Many Bad Mortgages

There is a website, and I'm not going to tell you what it is since I don't want to promote their services, that will provide Employment Verification for you for a nominal fee, even if you are unemployed, even if you have never held a job in your life. What they do is provide you with a paycheck stub for $55 and provide telephone verification for only $25, in order to prove that you are employed. It is assumed that the users of this service will use the pay stubs to help them to buy a house, rent an apartment, or qualify for a car loan.

This is the first time I've seen a site like this (I really haven't been looking for such a site; I just read about it in the Financial Times), but if this is one of many similar sites, then no wonder there are so many real estate, mortgage, and loan problems.

The way the site is written, what they provide appears to be technically legal, although I'm not entirely certain since I'm not an attorney. What the end user does with this might be another story. The company is based in California, of course.

OK, if you really want to see this site, you will need to work for it. Go to ft.com, and in the search box, type Subprime Investigators Culprits in the search box, click Go, and the first article should be the one you want. When you click on the title of the article, the website address appears in the first paragraph.

No comments: